Thursday, September 14, 2006

I Want to Leave a Legacy


When I interviewed for the assistant principal position at Highland Park Presbyterian Church, in Dallas, I was asked what kind of legacy I wanted to leave behind. That is not your typical interview question but it really got me to thinking. How do I want others to remember me? What kind of legacy do I want to leave behind for my family members? Do I want them to remember how intelligent or how organized I am? Or, do I want them instead to remember that I loved them more than words can say? Do I want people around me to remember that I was too busy to listen? Or, do I want them to say, she always listened when I needed her to?

The legacy I want to leave is one of love and compassion. I want others to remember me for showing mercy and grace. I want my life to have been a servant's life - a servant to the King of Kings and to His people. My intelligence, my accomplishments, and my material possessions don't really matter in the grand scheme of things. I want my love for God and my family to be what they remember about me. I want to leave that kind of legacy!

Nicole Nordeman's song Legacy says it best:

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy



3 comments:

Rochelle said...

You are an inspiration to me! You are always such an encouragement to me. I want to leave this kind of legacy, too. Oh, and by the way... Happy Birthday to you!!!

Staci said...

You've been building that legacy for years, no worries! Happy, happy birthday! Eat cake! No wait...only if it's chocolate. Yeah, eat chocolate. And drink coffee. And diet coke! That combo makes for a very great day indeed.

Tiffany said...

Love this thought. I think about this all the time. Our life is short, let's shine for the King of Kings. The world is watching and searching for something worth buying. Their eternity is at stake.

Bless you.